Are you walking 5 times per week ?.
Walking can be a great way to lose weight, especially if you combine it with a herbalife weight loss plan.
For many people doing exercise is often associated with either running, the gym or swimming. But did you know walking can be one of the most effective ways to lose weight – and get a flat tummy ?
This doesn’t mean simply ‘gently’ walking in the evening, you will have to combine 3 faster-paced walks with 2 ‘recovery’ walks.
Lose Weight Faster…
According to research from the University of Virginia fast-paced walking, combined with healthy eating, can be hugely effective for weight loss.
In the study they found that if you are walking to lose weight, you will get the best results if..
- women who do three short (about 30-minute) high-intensity walks
- plus two moderately paced recovery walks a week
- lose up to six times more abdominal fat (your tummy)
- than participants who simply stroll five days a week.
So how fast should you walk ?
Your speed will depend on how fast (or how often) you are walking at present.
The key to ‘fast walking’ is to go at a pace which you consider to be hard. The reason is that there is a strong relationship between intensity of exercise and fat-burning hormones. If you are ‘moving up a gear’ you’re likely to release more of these hormones. So that you not only burn calories – but you burn them faster.
To make sure your walking at the right speed use the guidelines below from exercise physiologist Tom Holland, (one of the designers of the herbalife24 fit dvd):
- Stroll. Think window-shopping pace, or an intensity of 4 on a scale of 10. It burns about 238 calories an hour.
- Brisk walk. This means an effort of 5 or 6 on a scale of 10. It burns up to 340 calories an hour (at a 3.5 to 4 mph pace). While you can gossip about Mad Men, you need to catch your breath every few sentences.
- Power walk. You’re torching off approximately 564 calories an hour (at a 4 to 5 mph pace). Moving at this clip, using your arms to help propel you forward and taking longer strides, your effort should be a 7 or 8 on a scale of 10. Talking is possible only in spurts of three or four words, but…you’d…rather…focus…on…breathing.
If you haven’t done any sports or exercise for some time, start gently and slowly increase your pace as you go along.
For a step by step guide to walking to lose weight, best technique – have a look at the video below:
To Hard ??
If this sounds to hard (or you really enjoy your ‘leisurely’ walk in the evenings) then why not
- Combine one of Herbalife’s Weight Loss Plans
- With gentle exercise. (The plans will help you lose weight & boost your energy levels)
And then you can always ‘increase the pace’ as you lose weight and build your fitness.